The Difference Between Lonely and Alone

8:36 PM

What is so scary about being alone? Weeks had stretched into months and months into years, waiting for the day that I get to say what I had always hoped for my answer to be, loud and clear—nothing. Instead, it was everything. From the uncertainty of taking risks knowing I have nothing to hold on to, to the fear of never having anybody for as long as I live, to having to feel my insecurities make their way deep into my soul, eating me alive and squeezing me dry of any will to live and to love. For years, these thoughts haunted me and controlled my every move. No matter what shape I had to cut myself into or how many coats of paint I had to smother myself in to be a specific shade of pink or purple, I had been willing to endure anything and everything, simply because I was too scared to be alone.

Four years of pure cluelessness of what we were and where we stood were four years too long. I knew that then, and I know it now. I was just too busy reveling in the way his arms felt wrapped around me, like a cozy blanket enveloping me on a cold night, and too distracted by the sweet words that I’ve only ever received from him to fully acknowledge it. Perhaps he liked me, or loved me, even, and maybe I felt the same way about him, but those were questions I had forcefully learned to block out, because I wasn’t sure if I wanted answers. It would only complicate everything, I always thought. I didn’t want to risk losing whatever we had, even if it meant never knowing who or what I was to him. Instead, I focused all my energy on being satisfied with the way things were and I tried my very best to find contentment in merely having a hand to hold and a shoulder to lean on, because I’d rather have a small piece of him than none at all. Still, I couldn’t stop the hopeful thoughts of a possible happily-ever-after for us two from lurking into my mind.

I remember my friends constantly scolding me for being so stupid for settling with way less than what I deserve and telling me that I need a love that’s sure. For so long, I had always replied with a simple it’s okay, I’m happy with the way things are. That’s why it tasted so different and foreign on my tongue to say I know, I’ve grown tired. It wasn’t a realization that dawned on me overnight, nor was it some sort of divine intervention—it was more of a slow and gradual learning process, in the same way that one unfolds truths and revelations about a story as they read each word and flip through every single page of the book. I’ve come to realize the kind of life that I have been living.

I was scared of being alone because of all sorts of uncertainty that came with it, but it was in those four years that I had spent with him that I had felt the most confused and unsure of who I was. I was scared of being alone because then I might end up spending my life unaccompanied for eternity, but it was in those four years that I had spent with him that I pushed so many people away, both old and new faces, worried that he might get hurt or feel replaced. I was scared of being alone because it triggered my insecurities, but it was in those four years that I had spent with him that I’d felt the most inadequate, because I knew at the back of my head that I’d always love him more than he loves me.

Like the same sun that has risen on a new day, I finally have the strength in me to answer nothing. There is nothing scary about being alone. If it had been possible for me to find loneliness even in the company of another, then I can find serendipity and companionship in solitude.


You Might Also Like

0 comments

FEATURED POST

For When You're Lonely and Forget Who You Are

Subscribe